Well, it is Oscar season again. I have been around so long, I still think Jimmy Stewart was robbed in 1939 when he did not win the Oscar for “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.” So, instead of questions about the Oscar winners, how about the losers?
1. Some of our greatest actors never even got a nomination in stellar careers. One such should have been nominated for “Double Indemnity” and “Key Largo.” Who was he?
2. Another non-nominee was voted Queen of Hollywood the same time Clark Gable was named King. She played the wife of a sleuth in an outstanding detective series and was outstanding in “Best Years of our Lives.” Who was she?
3. Henry Fonda was one our most reliable actors, who finally won an Oscar in 1983, shortly before his death. He was nominated only one other time. What was the movie and year that he won?
4. Harrison Ford has had one of the most successful movie careers over the past 40 years, but has only been nominated once for an Oscar. For what movie?
5. Tom Hanks has won twice and been frequently nominated. He should have won again in 1999 for “Saving Private Ryan.” Who did he lose to and what was the movie?
6. Martin Scorcese should have won Best Director Oscars in 1980 for “Raging Bull” and in 1990 for “Goodfellas.” Both times he lost to actors turned directors. Who were the two directors and what were the movies?