The Giants have a new stadium. The 49ers are building a new stadium. Oakland’s three Major League sports franchises are in the process of looking to move. Can’t anybody stay put? Let’s review some of the local stadiums of the past and ones in other California cities.
1. When the Giants moved to San Francisco from New York in 1958, they played in an ex-Pacific Coast League stadium for two years. What was its name?
2. The A’s have only played in one stadium since moving to Oakland in 1968. From which middle West city did they move ?
3. The Golden State Warriors played in two arenas in San Francisco before moving to Oakland. What were the two arenas in San Francisco?
4. The 49ers first season was 1946. (I saw their first game.) What stadium in SF was their first home until 1970?
5. Before moving to the Coliseum, the Raiders played four years in San Francisco. They moved to Oakland in 1964 and played in a temporary stadium near the center of Oakland. What was the name of that stadium?
6. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (what a name!) have played in Anaheim several years. Originally, they were the Los Angeles Angels in 1961 and, like the Giants, played in a former Pacific Coast League stadium. What was its name?
7. The Dodgers also moved to California, with the Giants, in 1958. At what spacious stadium did they play until the park at Chavez Ravine could be built?
8. Brooklyn hearts were broken when their beloved Dodgers moved west. What was the name of their stadium in Brooklyn?
9. Less traumatic was the move of the Giants westward. What was the name of the quirky park they called home in New York?
10. I have not mentioned a NFL franchise in Los Angeles. They don’t have one anymore since the Rams moved to St. Louis in the 90′s. The Rams originally moved to Los Angeles in 1950. From what Midwest city did they move?